Enlarged prostate is the most common problem. It is so common that it has been said, “All men will have an enlarged prostate if they live long enough”. It is not life threatening nor is it cancer; however, if left untreated it can lead to more serious health problems such as urinary retention, bladder stones, urinary infections or kidney damage. This condition is often called benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) or benign prostatic hypertrophy. Treatment is determined by the severity of your symptoms. You will need a medical examination and a PSA test to establish if there are any cancerous cells around. Once cancer is ruled out, there are a variety of options. I also want to outline some of the natural remedies for enlarged prostate towards the end of the article.
Natural Remedies For Enlarged Prostate
You may, with your doctor’s advice consider herbal supplements. Many herbal prostate supplements with saw palmetto oil, one of the top 10 herbal remedies in the world used for prostate conditions, can significantly improve symptoms. In fact, herbal remedies for prostate enlargement frequently combine these herbs along with saw palmetto. BPH is known to improve with nutrients such as Beta Sitosterol, Lycopene, Campesterol, Selenium, zinc and Uva ursi. Cod liver oil and borage oil are also useful. A diet rich in fibre and a clean colon will contribute enormously to a healthy gland.
Another natural remedy is pygeum bark extract, which comes from the plant Pygeum africanum, a species of evergreen found throughout the African continent. It has been popular in Europe, especially France, for treating prostate conditions in older men. In this case, clinical studies agree with traditional medicine, and show that pygeum bark extract is effective in improving symptoms of BPH. However, the pygeum plant has long been overharvested and is currently endangered, although conservation efforts are ongoing.
In the end, the best natural approach to BPH is to prevent it from occurring, by consuming a diet rich in nutrients that are known to have a preventative effect on prostate enlargement. Lycopene is especially effective, and it is found in tomatoes and tomato products (ketchup, tomato sauce, etc.), as well as in pink grapefruit, watermelon, and guava. Vitamins D and E are also considered beneficial in preventing BPH and prostate cancer. Daily consumption of pomegranate juice may also be helpful, as a 2006 study has shown that it slows the rate of progress of prostate cancer.
If you have the below symptoms, you might already have enlarged prostate:
1. Not completely emptying your bladder after you finish urinating. This is caused by an enlarged prostate pressing against the bladder.
Know more how Enlarged Prostate.
2. Strong need to empty your bladder right away, your body only give you seconds to a minute to reach the toilet.
3. You need to urinate again less than 2 hours after you finished urinating.
4. Stopped and started again several times when you urinate.
5. Decreasing of urine stream that takes longer than usual to empty the bladder.
6. Find it difficult to postpone urination.
7. Difficult to urinate.
8. Had to push or strain to start urination.
9. Got up to urinate many times at night.
10. Burning or scalding and pain in the lower abdomen or urinary tract when you urinate.
By: bruce bud
About the Author: