Piles is a very common ailment. Women have higher incidence than men. The reason behind it is not clearly known. It is more commonly seen in adolescent age group and aged persons who all seem to be more tensed.
In medical terminology, piles is known as hemorrhoids. Piles refers to a condition in which the veins around the anus or lower rectum are swollen and inflamed. It is the dilatation (varicosity) of the veins of anus. It appears as bluish coloured swellings due to stagnated blood. Piles arise due to the increased pressure of internal or external veins around the anal canal.
Piles can be both internal and external. Internal hemorrhoids, unless they are severe, cannot be seen or felt. There is however, a discharge of dark blood. External hemorrhoids can be seen around the outside of the anus, and there is a lot of pain but not much bleeding. In some cases, the veins burst and this results in what is known as bleeding piles.
There is an abundance of information on piles and hemorrhoids on the internet because of the high incidence of the condition, but despite this there is a lot of confusion on the subject. This is because most individuals are embarrassed or awkward about discussing some health problems and consider them to be of a personal nature. Very often otherwise health conscious individuals even defer going to a doctor or seeking medical treatment simply out of fear or anxiety of social discomfort. The fact is that piles problems are exceedingly common and if treated effectively can be cured permanently. Piles is not a disease, but is a condition that could be caused by some underlying infection, but there is no such thing as a piles infection. In most cases piles is simply caused due to faulty eating habits, with diets that are deficient in essential fiber, while being extremely rich in fat.
Piles symptoms, cures and treatment are connected and it is important to identify the cause of the piles for a lasting piles cure. Piles may be caused by a variety of factors apart from the most common diet causes. The direct cause being the exertion of excessive pressure on veins in the anal region causing them to get inflamed. Obesity can contribute to the development of piles and severely aggravate the problem because of increased pressure. For the same reason piles symptoms in pregnancy are not uncommon and the condition usually resolves naturally post delivery. In such scenarios simple home remedies for piles can offer a great deal of relief. Typically these would include diet remedies and modifications to your lifestyle. While there are piles remedies for quick relief it is absolutely necessary to make changes to your lifestyle and diet for a lasting cure to the condition. Failing this piles will simply keep recurring and worsen over time. In cases where piles have been caused by some underlying condition such as bowel cancer then treatment would need to address that underlying condition to cure piles.
Symptoms of piles vary, and depend on the type and place of origin. Piles in its initial stage is most commonly found to be without any symptoms.
However, the most common symptoms include –
o Intense pain at the time of passing stool.
o A pain around the anus and lower rectum, which can be quite severe.
o Frequent ineffectual urge for stool without passing stool or without satisfaction of complete evacuation.
o Itching in the rectal area.
o There may be bleeding. This will be bright red blood, not usually mixed in with the motion.
o There is often a feeling of something bulging, or hanging down from the anus.
o If a haemorrhoid at the outside of the anus gets a blood clot, it leads to tender lump.
o Anemia due to profuse bleeding.
o Wind formation in the stomach.
o Sitting becomes difficult due to pain.
If left untreated, piles can lead to complications including, infection, prolapse, necrosis and gangrene. Painful bleeding usually indicates startup of complications.
Haemorrhoids are very common. It is more common in people, who regularly follow a low fibre, and high processed diet, such as processed flour, polished rice, bread etc. The main contributory cause is anything that raises the pressure in the abdomen, which leads the blood vessels to swell and become engorged.
Thus, the main cause of piles include –
– People chronically suffering from constipation.
– Even diarrhoea can cause piles. The strain for passing the stool is the main reason for the development of piles.
– After or during pregnancy, as the baby may press on the main blood vessel that returns blood to the heart.
– Overweight people.
– Physical strain – even coughing for long periods can cause the anal veins to strain.
– General weakness of the tissues of the body.
– Low fiber diet
– Anal intercourse
– Prolonged periods of sitting or standing.
– Strenuous work
– Mental tension
Home Remedies for Piles
Take 1 tbsp black cumin seeds (shah jeera), roast and mix with 1 tbsp of unroasted black cumin seeds and powder both together. Take 1/2 a tsp with a glass of water once a day. Radish juice taken in the morning and night. Start with 1/4 a cup and increase to 1/2 a cup gradually over a period of 1 month. Wash 3-4 figs. Soak in a glass of water over night. Eat them first thing in the morning. Again repeat in the night. Boil 1 ripe banana in 1 cup of milk, mash well. Take 3-4 times a day. Crush bitter gourd leaves and extract the juice. Mix 3 tsp in 1 glass of buttermilk, and drink on an empty stomach every morning, for a month. Drink a glass of buttermilk with 1/4 tsp carom seed powder (ajwain) and a pinch of salt The first and foremost home remedy for piles is radish juice. It should be taken two times a day; morning and at night. Drink ¼ cup of radish juice on initial stage and then increase it up to ½ cup. Roast one tsp of black cumin seeds and mix with one tsp of unroasted black cumin seeds. Powder them together and then consume it in the dosage of ½ tsp with one glass of water. It is to be taken once in a day. It is one of the effective home remedies for piles. Soak three to four figs in a glass of water and keep it overnight. In the next morning consume them on empty stomach. Do this for at least 20 days. This gives relief in piles and is also one of the best home remedies for piles.
10. Don’t remain constipated at any cost. Constipation worsens the case of piles. For this, you can either go for any herbal bowel regulator or can go for simple home remedy for piles.
11. Boil one ripe banana in one cup of milk. Mash it well and take thrice a day. Remember that one should not have sugar problem.
12. Crush bitter gourd leaves and extract the juice out of them. Add three tsp in glassful of buttermilk and have it on empty stomach early in the morning at least for a period of one month. This is very beneficial in piles treatment and is also one of the popular home remedies for piles.
13. Drink a glassful of butter milk with ¼ tsp of carom seed powder (an Ayurvedic herb called Ajmoda) and a pinch of rock salt. This gives benefit in piles. This is one of the well liked home remedies for piles
14. The piles are tied very firmly with special medicated very thing string for a particular period. The piles then fall off due to super concentrated alkaline medium of the string.
15. The leaves of turnips have been found as one of the favorable home remedies for piles. The juice of turnip leaves are to be taken
in the dosage of 150 ml. along with this juice, proper diet of vegetable juice and fruit juice is to be strictly followed.
16. Ginger is also considered to be best home remedy for piles. Half a tsp of fresh ginger juice mixed with 1 tsp of fresh lime juice, ½ tsp of mint juice and tbsp of honey. This mixture is best for treating piles.
17. Rice is another home remedy practiced since years for piles. A thick gruel of rice, mixed with glass of buttermilk and ripe banana taken two times a day. It is good and nutritious for a person with piles.
18. Onions have favorable effects on the piles especially bleeding piles. About 30 gm of onions should be finely rubbed in the water and 60 gm of sugar is added to it. Take this mixture two times a day. For the dried piles, crushed onion, skinned and then roasted in ashes can be applied over the affected area. This is one of the popular home remedies for piles
19. Wheat grass is said to be good for treating piles as home remedy. Wheat grass juice is used as enema to clean the bowels and to remove toxins from them. Neem water or lukewarm water is mixed with wheat grass juice and is given as enema in quantity of 90-120 ml. The enema is to be retained for about 15 minutes.
20. Sesame seeds are also good in piles. Take them as decoction by boiling 20 gm of seeds in ½ liter of water till it is reduced by 1/3 rd. it can be taken with butter in bleeding piles. This is one of the best home remedies for piles
21. Try to avoid spicy and food containing chilies. Junk food, canned foods are also to be avoided.
22. Avoid coffee, tea and carbonated water.
23. Extract juice of white radish and mix this juice with honey. Apply this mixture directly on the piles. This will provide relief and this is also one of the excellent home remedies for piles.
By: Dr Izharul Hasan
About the Author: