Swine flu (swine influenza) is a respiratory disease caused by viruses (influenza viruses) that infect the respiratory tract of pigs and result in nasal secretion, a barking-like cough, decrease appetite, and listless behavior.
Swine flu produces most of the same symptoms in pigs as human flu produces in people.
The disease originally was nickname swine flu because the virus that causes the disease originally jumped to humans from the live pigs in which it evolved. The virus is a “reassortant” — a mix of genes from swine, bird, and human flu viruses.
Scientists are still in conflict about what the virus should be called, but most people know it as the H1N1 swine flu virus.
Most commonly, swine flu is of the H1N1 influenza subtype.
However, they can from time to time come from the other types, such as H1N2, H3N1, and H3N2.
Swine Influenza also known as H1N1 flu, Swine flu, Pig and Hog flu is a respiratory disease caused by virus commonly found in pigs throughout the world. Most usually it is due to H1N1 influenza subtype but sometimes H1N2, H3N1, and H3N2 can also be responsible.
The major difference is that the current virus has strains of bird and pig viruses in it, and humans have very low or negligible immunity to it. That is what has made it more likely to become a pandemic virus (that can cause a global outbreak) as it could without problems spread from human to human.
Swine Flu Symptoms
The first symptoms of swine flu are fever (greater than 100°F or 37.8°C), sore throat, body ache and fatigue. Some patients have also complained about running nose, diarrhea and vomiting.
Persons who have travelled abroad recently should be extra cautious and seek medical help right away if they have these symptoms.
According to the CDC, like seasonal flu, symptoms of swine flu infections can include:
1. fever, which is usually high, but unlike seasonal flu, is sometimes absent
3. runny nose or stuffy nose
4. sore throat
5. body aches
Treatment for the Swine Flu
Treating the swine flu can be done in a couple of dissimilar ways: through antiviral drugs and through what is known as supportive care.
Antiviral Drugs—these are extremely important for high risk individuals who have acquired the H1N1 influenza or those who cannot rid their bodies of the illness and it appears to only be getting worse.
Home Remedies for Swine Flu
1. Wash Your Hands: It is believed that pig flu virus can get into the inside of your body through the mouth and nose. Regular washing of your hands, especially before a meal, with soap and luke warm water can prevent this. Alternately, you can also wear hand gloves before touching anything directly so as not to get infected.
2. Cover Your Nose and Mouth: If someone is sneezing or coughing near you, you may want to cover your nose and mouth with the inside of your palms or with your hanky. Alternately, you can wear face mask before going outside. These can prevent the virus to get entry into your system.
3. Drink Lemon Balm Tea: Experts believe that the anti-viral possessions of lemon balm can treat swine flu. You can drink lemon balm tea twice every day.
4. Chew Fresh Garlic Cloves: Garlic is careful an effective antiviral. Fresh garlic cloves (2-3) can be chewed once everyday.
Read more on Baba Ramdev Medicine and Hepatitis Causes and Hernia Herbal Remedies
By: Baba Ramdev Medicines
About the Author: