High blood pressure is a common ailment troubling masses these days. If timely controlled, one may lead a healthy life even with high BP or else it may be quite risky and even life threatening. Blood pressure is the pressure exerted by blood on the artery walls while flowing through arteries in to the various organs. Normal BP is around 120/80 mm or millimeters of mercury.
The two figures in BP reading stand for systolic pressure and diastolic pressure respectively. The top number is systolic pressure; it is the pressure of blood on arteries, when heart contracts and pumps blood in to arteries. The lower number indicates diastolic pressure; it is the blood pressure on arteries, when heart relaxes after contraction. Thus systolic pressure indicates maximum pressure and diastolic pressure indicates minimum pressure of blood on arteries.
One needs to worry when systolic pressure exceeds 140 mm and diastolic pressure exceeds 90 mm. The reading implies high blood pressure. Consistent high BP may lead to heart failures, kidney failures, brain damage, cardiovascular disorders, hardening of arteries etc.
2. Family history
3. Salt or sodium sensitivity
5. Smoking tobacco
6. Caffeine intake
10. Certain medications like contraceptive pills, diet pills, steroids.
6. Nausea and vomiting
7. Flushed face
8. Visual problems.
Control BP (Blood pressure) Naturally
1. Weight reduction – Obesity is one cause of blood pressure. Losing extra pounds can reduce BP miraculously. For instance, losing 10 pounds can work wonders for a patient of BP. Weight reduction improves the effectiveness of BP medicines, the patient is taking. The doctor may suggest a target weight and the patient must strive to achieve it. Also one must be attentive about one’s waist line. Flab around waist increases the risk of blood pressure. For men, the waist line should not exceed 40 inches and for women, the waist line should not exceed 35 inches.
2. Reduction in alcohol intake – Heavy drinking increases BP. More than one drink a day for women and two drinks a day for men can cause elevation in BP. One may maintain an alcohol intake diary to estimate ones drinking pattern. If one is consuming more than 12 ounces of beer or 5 ounces of wine or 1.5 ounces of 80 – proof liquor, it is wise to cut down. Sudden break in drinking can have a reverse effect, raising BP considerably. It must be done under doctor’s supervision.
3. Avoiding smoking – Smoking and tobacco intake should be avoided strictly. Nicotine in tobacco causes considerable rise in BP. Blood pressure may rise up to 10 mm, after an hour of smoking. Being a passive smoker or inhaling smoke can also cause the same kind of health problem.
4. Cutting down on caffeine intake – One must reduce the intake of caffeinated beverages, for it causes a hike in BP. One must not consume more than 200 milligrams of caffeine a day.
5. Herbal supplements – Stresx capsule is a clinically formulated herbal supplement that works highly effectively against hypertension or high BP. It not only lowers high BP but also helps in maintaining healthy blood pressure level naturally.
By: Ryan Mutt
About the Author: