Whiteheads are a form of acne caused by collection or accumulation of keratin and sebum or oil secreted by sebaceous glands in the skin. These deposits plug up the skin pores close to hair follicles resulting in whiteheads. Whiteheads jut out from the skin surface as tiny white bumps. Whiteheads are also known as comedones. When they get oxidized due to pollution, they become black and are called black heads. If air is unable to reach the hair follicle, no oxidation takes place, and they continue to remain white bumps. Whiteheads may be deep seated; spoiling the texture of the skin and making it lose its luster.
Delicate regions of the skin are susceptible to whiteheads. Areas like temples, foreheads, cheek bones, sides of nose and under the eyes are thronged by whiteheads. Whiteheads may appear not only in face but also in other parts of the body like chest, hip, armpit etc. As one attains puberty, the sebaceous glands get activated due to hormonal turbulence, resulting in an increased incidence of whiteheads and blackheads. A strict skin cleansing routine should be followed using medicated soaps to keep the extra oil off the skin. In other words, proper skin hygiene keeps away whiteheads. Oil-based make up should be avoided. Scrubbers should be used to eliminate dead skin deposits and comedone extractors may be used to extract the comedones.
Home Remedies for Whiteheads
1. Application of a paste of fenugreek leaves and leaving it overnight and washing off with warm water the next morning, keeps away whiteheads.
2. A mixture of corn starch and vinegar may left on the skin for 30 minutes and then rubbed off with a warm wash cloth. This remedy cleanses the skin of whiteheads.
3. A scrubber made out of 50 ml raw milk, 2 tablespoon lime juice and a pinch of salt can help to drag out whiteheads deposits from pores.
4. One can get freedom from whiteheads by applying a mixture of roasted, powdered pomegranate and lime juice.
5. A mixture of one tablespoon groundnut oil and one tablespoon lime juice can be applied to get rid of whiteheads.
6. Powdered almond scrubber may be used to dislodge whiteheads.
7. A fine paste made out of sandalwood and rose water may be applied as mask, kept for 30 minutes and then washed off with lukewarm water. This allows easy extraction of whiteheads.
8. Whiteheads may be treated effectively with a poultice made out of grated potatoes.
9. One may mix 1 teaspoon honey with a beaten egg white and dab the mixture on whiteheads with a cotton swab and wash it off with warm water after 30 minutes. This treatment eliminates whiteheads.
10. Detoxifying system by drinking the juice of one lemon squeezed in to a glass of warm water every morning can keep away whiteheads.
11. A mixture of water and bee propolis extract can effectively help one to get rid of whiteheads.
12. Steaming the face can enlarge skin pores allowing easy extraction of the hard deposits.
By: Dr Andrew Napier
About the Author: